Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Iowa State Fair - 2008 - Twins Day

Aug. 7, 2008


Shane and I with our babies. Please note, it looks almost as if the twins and I are in matching dresses, but I can assure you, we are not. They weren't even going to wear these dresses in the competition. The white halter numbers were being protected from wrinkles and . . . well, everything else.
Joni and Faith walking Josie up and down the bleachers.

Our friend, Jennifer, with TWO sets of twins, Mollie, Maddie, Tillie and Jack.


Twins, Triplets and More
Contest at the State Fair

I'll spare you most of the details. Because, frankly, there are just too many. And most of them are not pretty.

Long story short . . .freakin' nightmare.

We missed it. We were stuck in traffic for the better part of an entire morning. And I have to say, I was in complete control . . . until the moment hit me that, in fact . . . we were going to miss it. Then I probably lost it a little bit.

We almost made it. And that's where the details come in. Unless you were there, it is really hard to imagine the scene we must have caused. I'm totally serious. There were babies being thrown out of our car on University Ave. There was Missy throwing dirty diapers on the road as she tried to pull the double stroller out the the back of a moving suburban. There were cops on foot screaming obscenities at us. And there was a mad dash down the fair grounds to the stage. We missed it by like 30 seconds.

I was devastated. It took (Missy) two hours the night before to iron all the dresses. They had to be snatched out of bed near midnight in order for their toes and fingernails to be painted. (And for the record, there is now red fingernail polish on one of Shane's favorite shirts.) Entourage arrived at the house in the morning to help with hair and breakfast. God bless my family. We were all in it together. And God bless Missy's family and everyone else who came to watch the show that never happened.

You can't even imagine the traffic. Seriously, did the entire state HAVE to show up to try and break a corndog eating record?


So I stole some participation ribbons. I did. True story. They would have been the twins', anyway. In retrospect, I should have stolen the blues.

The rest of the day was fine. The girls loved the animals. As we walked through the sheep barn they were yelling “Moooo!!!” But it was hard to navigate eighty people through the crowds so slowly we broke up into more manageable numbers.

At the bitter end, it was just Missy, Joni, Shane, the girls and me.

There's always next year.

No comments: