Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Chronicles of a Crazy Lady


Yep. I be that crazy lady.

*So outside my window is a conversion van for sale. Burgundy and pink striped. It's hard to tell from my vantage point, but it seems like the curtains are plaid. I've been thinking all day long about driving that bad boy on a grand adventure. Or at least to Billy's.

*Grace got that "How To Be Glamorous" book for Christmas, and she's really poured over it. She's been wanting me to add perfume to the wash cycle and has worn lipstick the last three times we've been out of the house. I'm thinking maybe I should hide the book, however. The other night, based on the book's suggestion of a mood board, she cut pictures out of a magazine and pinned them to her bulletin board. This morning as I was trying to determine which panties were clean and which were dirty in her room, I took a good look at the board. She'd cut out all these pictures of beautiful women. Perfect and airbrushed. She's 8. And I'm obsessing over the fact that I did this to her. My standing in front of the mirror, fussing with some shirt that doesn't hang right, and complaining about my too-thin frame and stuffing my bra with chicken-like aids. I have done her no favors. I really haven't. So I'm becoming more aware of my messaging. I'm want her to know what beautiful really is. I'm going to swap her book out for some poetry and tell her to stay away from men.

*I read my book "Revolutionary Road" with great excitement, imagining Leonardo on the big screen, only to find out that the movie is not playing in a theater near me. And I think that's shit.

*Grace, Faith, Emma and Josh made up a song that talks about Europe being a "throw away country." Ok, despite the fact that Europe is not, in fact, a country, the lyrics are truly moving.

*God, I could go on forever. That's the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While Grace was cutting out models, Faith was adding shoes. I'd cut your losses and concentrate on Faith. Or maybe explain to Grace that while deep burgundy may be a good color for a Saturday night...late afternoon...trip to Costco, it just doesn't go with her sweatsuit at Sunday morning brunch.

Screw Revolutionary Road. Bride Wars. Tomorrow night.

Not only Europe, but Canada and Africa too.

Anonymous said...

You should come up to MN and we can go see Revolutionary Road together! I really want to see it.