Monday, March 23, 2009

A Few More





I remember 21 years ago. I remember how Mark's birth did really great things for our family. I remember it brought us some well-deserved happiness. I'll never forget Grandpa's husky voice on the phone in the kitchen, in the middle of the night saying, "You had a boy??!!" That's how I found out he'd been born.

I remember his first birthday. His gorgeous hair and beautiful eyes. I remember his second birthday, on the farm at Evie's, in his overalls, feeding his baby lamb a "bottle of juice."

I remember the birthdays that we celebrated on a different day because Mom and Dad went on vacation! That's true.

I remember his first day of school. I cried as he got on the bus.

I remember his school programs. And attending as his special guest on Grandparents Day.

I remember the birthday parties with his little friends. The Cale story is still being told.

I remember teenage mutant turtles, the Cowboys and BB guns. I remember his love of all animals, especially his collie dog and kittens. And later his labs. I remember Matt throwing him up in the air before leaving to go back to college.

I remember watching him playing basketball, and the pride I felt every time he scored. I remember racing to the hospital during a football game, feeling so scared.

I remember the first time I rode in the combine with him when he drove. And I remember him letting me drive, because Dad never would.

I remember when he turned 16. And buying cigs on his 18th birthday. And the red, white and blue birthday party.

And now his 21st.

Each year is such a blessing to have him. And this little boy couldn't be any more loved - 21 years ago or today.

I'm so proud of the man he's become. He's kind and genuine. He's intelligent and witty. He's adventurous and fun. He'll be a fantastic father, because he treats his nephew and nieces with so much love and tenderness.

So Mark, we celebrated your 21st birthday, not because you can buy beer :), but because your very being brings us so much happiness. You always have. You always will.

We love you like no other.

No comments: