Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Letter From Aunt Jessie

On October 26, 2006, I was working late at the West Des Moines City Hall. It was too late to still be working, probably around 8, when I got a text message from your mother. Sometimes your mom sends me random pictures of Grace and Faith but when I opened it up, I couldn't exactly tell what it was. A couple of seconds later, I realized that it was a picture of two lines indicating a positive pregnancy test with the caption, 'ssshh don't tell mom' Very excited, I called your mom to congratulate her and she asked me not to tell Grandma yet because she wanted to wait a while.
For a very long month, I had to keep this very important surprise! On Faith's birthday, we all went back to Grandma and Grandpa's for a party and your parents were going to announce it to everyone then. I hasn't your mom if it was ok that Grandma knew that I already knew about the pregnancy or not. She said to act like I didn't know and I joked that I'm not very good at 'faking surprise' but that I would try. After lunch and cake for Faith, your mom announced she had some news and I thought I knew what to expect. Your mom pulled out the sonogram picture and gave it to Grandma who looked at it for a second and said "A?....B?.....Twins?" Needless to say I didn't have to act surprised!
We soon started to pick out names! If you were boys, I really wanted you to be named Rosco and Rufus as it was a suggestion in the baby name book. Your mom soon started to like Lillian, the name I have 'called' for years, and Eva, the name Joni 'called'. She claimed she read in her baby name book that you shouldn't not name your children something because your siblings have called that name because they may change their mind or not have a child of that gender. To this day I don't know if she was serious or just doing it to get a rise out of us.
A few months later, I met your family for supper at Hy-Vee. I knew your mom had a doctor's appointment that day but I didn't know it was the day your parents were finding out if you were boys or girls. In the middle of dinner she says, "Are you going to ask what the babies are?" She then told me that you were little girls!
The first time your mom went into the hospital it was very early in the pregnancy. I told her I'd come keep her company after I got off work and asked if she wanted me to bring anything. She said no but called me back several times with different requests. That night I ended up taking to the hospital, teddy grahms, cherry nibs, scotcheroos, and hot chocolate. It was very random.
The last time your mom was in the hospital she wanted me to come down and help her take a shower. The nurses gave me the impression she was on pretty strict bed rest but your mom convinced me she was allowed to shower. She told the nurse she'd like to get cleaned up and the nurse comes in with a washcloth and a bucket and asks me if I had it handled. While I do love your mother and was concerned about your well being, I was not about to give your mom a sponge bath. We had to fashion a guard around her IV so it didn't get wet in the shower with a Target sack and a rubber band. We watched the season finale of Grey's Anatomy together before I went back home.
For the last few months of the pregnancy, your mom, Joni, and I had several 'last suppers.' Each time we went out we acted like it was the last time we would be able to go out to dinner together. Two days before you were born, we went to see Knocked Up which was a comedy about a pregnant lady so with the timing, it was especially funny. I was sitting next to your mom and could actually see you two moving around in there. Luckily, you only kicked her in the bladder once that night.

Jessica Clinton, Associate Planner
Development Services Department

No comments: