Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Certain Inevitable Truths

Facts: I am surely messing my children up in ways I can't even begin to understand. I am quite confident the irrational, over-dramatic, passionate gene is being passed on through nature AND nurture - the same way it was passed on to me.

However, there are times when I know I'm doing something right.

Last night I took Grace and Faith to the over-hyped Hannah Montana movie. Each ticket was $15, but you got a cool pair of 3-D glasses!

*They woke up yesterday high-fiving each other and singing.
*On the way to the movie they were having a conversation about best friends, and each declared the other her "best, best, best friend."
*We all hold hands and walk into the mall. Faith says, "We don't want you to get lost, Mommy."
*At Panera, Faith ordered a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the peanut butter.
*We toasted each other's chocolate milk in honor of the "girl's night." We decide it's going to be even more awesome when the twins are old enough to come along.
*The girls ordered plain ice cream at Cold Stone.
*During the previews they kept asking if "it's time yet?"
*Que the music. Grace sang the whole time. Not moving from her seat.
*Faith climbed up into my lap ten minutes into the movie. And as the place was shaking with over-amplified, little girl, rock music . . . she fell asleep. Hard and deep. Grace looks over and says . . ."Oh, the music must have lulled her to sleep . . . "
* Movie over, we try to wake Faith up. To no avail. I pick up this child and it takes all my strength to carry her out.
*Get into the car. I tell the girls I love them. "We love you, too, Mommy," Grace answers. "Don't feel bad because I'm speaking for Faith, too. She's delirious. She doesn't know she loves you right now."
*We pull into the driveway and Grace leans over Faith, "Wake up, Lover Butt."

So, okay, you had to be there, but the night was just awesome. And I'm so in love with my girls. They are a complete delight.

God gave me girls for a reason. And sisters for a reason. And now my kids will have what I got to have. And I can't imagine being more thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how good that Hannah Montana movie was. But your girls atleast are worth it:)

Anonymous said...

No one can ever claim your kids don't have 'spirit' When I saw the pix message last night, I knew Faith would be asleep by the end of it. By the time the twins are old enough to come along, hopefully Grace will be able to carry one of them out to the car when they fall asleep.

Last night Joni made me supper but she didn't call me lover butt. I maintain that's a good thing.