Sunday, June 1, 2008

Memorial Day Road Trips


Shane and I went to Piper's wedding and Jessie and Eddie, Mom and Dad took the kids cemetery hoping.

Jessie, you can fill in the details, but it sounds like it was a good day for everybody. Ice cream . . . twice.

I'm not sure if you are supposed to let your kids sit on graves. I would probably guess not. But the top picture is their great, great grandparent's on their maternal side. So my mom's mom's parents, Nellie and Frank.

And the bottom is my sister Jennifer's grave. My Jennifer is trying to pick the flowers. Faith will have none that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom insisted that Eddie and I take Grace and Faith in a separate car even though we all could have fit into the Tahoe. $47 worth of my gas later, Mom didn't have to answer Grace's pointed questions about death. I snuck a picture of Grace by the a particular grave because I wanted her to know it exists (or existed) someday.

The whole reason I went was to see the flags at the Creston cemetery...which they didn't fly until the next day. So instead, we opted to hang at DQ and McKinney park. I told the girls that's where we watched fireworks when we were little. During our playground adventures, Faith decided she needed to go to the bathroom. Grace went too but after going in, decided she didn't have to go that bad. Faith may need to update her tetnus shot by the way. Meanwhile, Mom and Dad were taking their twins to the nursing home. A woman mom's age...surely it was fertility drugs. On the way out of Creston we met up at the Casey's store for four bottles of water and four suckers to wash down the ice cream then off to Greenfield. Then came the glamour shots. I don't really know how or why it happened, but after spending so much time trying to make death not sad, somber reverence wasn't a concept I was commissioned to teach that day. I think it was also the around Greenfield where we tackled such issues as if Eddie was going to be buried in Spain or with me. Thanks G, glad we got that out there. Sometime before heading out of town Gpa stopped for the girls' 2nd ice cream of the afternoon. We culminated in Massena where finally, all the flower's they acquired throughout the day from all those different cemeteries, could be put on Jennifer's grave.