Saturday, March 22, 2008

Focusing on the Journey



The journey . . . stellar suggestion, Jessica. That I can do. Explain the unexplainable, I can not.

But where are the pictures of Eddie learning how to maneuver the tricky screwdriver on the shower? And the effort of many people to bath the twins in the sink? Is the tendency to wear green really a subconscious gesture to St. Patrick's Day? Grace says yes. Do people really care about the six trips back and forth from Billy's and Mom's in order to track down a fifth camera, aspirin and a pair of unfindable sunglasses? Or the pink elephant Joni was going to leave me on? Or my begging for McDonald's, and the insurmountable surprise that Dad actual took me? Doesn't it go without stating that no one should order pancakes to go?

Hmmm, why didn't we let Mom get her picture taken by the "Dead End" sign? We should have encouraged her more. Where is the picture of the giant bunnies . . . and other inflatable nods to Easter? Because I know pictures exsist.

And then . . .

Yes, they are twins. Yes, cute as can be. Twins? Heck no? They were simply instant friends in the nursery and we hated to separate them. Blue Goose. Blue Goose . . . if there's a gay bar in Des Moines, Jessie would know about it. So that can't be it. No cargo on weekends? I did not know that. Next vacation is to heaven. No doubt I'll never see you again. To find it, you simply cross the massive ditch. "I saw the sign" "What? So you just chose to not believe it?" Ummm, I'm going to need more pizza. Or Dairy Queen. Yes. Dairy Queen is needed. (Again, insurmountable surprise.)

And then . . .

Again, I don't have the picture of the semi that Richard painted, but I'm sincerely impressed by mom's ability to identify his work by sight. But more impressed by her knowledge of whoolymammoths. I think my car sickness began at the sudden and sharp u-turn to get a closer look. And THAT is why I had to shed the panty hose in exchange for my jeans.

But Baby, I do have pictures of the bridge. And that was an awesome pit stop during the most incredibly odd day ever. Joni, I'm so glad you came.

Oh, what am I missing??

I only wish I had a Sharpie, but what would we have written?

Fact is more moving than fiction? I'd make a movie out of this day, but it wouldn't be believable?

I'm off to rent the Spanish version of the Bridges of Madison County. I hear there's nudity in it.

No comments: